Sivut

Search This Blog

1/16/2013

The Coach


An interesting demographic has developed here in the United States and has been noticed by pollsters. According to numerous polls regarding American spiritual values there is a rising group of people who are now called the "nones." This group is people who, when asked about religious affiliation, have put a check in the box labeled none. Some polls have this group at 23% of Americans and it is even higher for those aged 17-35. As I was driving home yesterday I was listening to National Public Radio (NPR) and on the program "All Things Considered" there was an interesting piece where they were interviewing six people who identified themselves as a none.
What struck me was that most of these people had faith backgrounds, Jewish, Protestant, Catholic etc. and yet all were struggling with believing in the existence of a God. Some continued to practice the religious tenets of their faith and others had stopped going to church or synagogue altogether. While they all had come to the conclusion that there was not a God they all seemed to understand that that conclusion held deeply disturbing results such as the" loss of meaning for life" and immersion into a world of chaotic values with no foundation. In fact one of the interviewees said "I don't believe in God but I deeply wish that I did."
One of the consistent themes that was expressed by these people was their disappointment in God that had created a loss of faith. In story after story they explained how in times of trouble God did not answer their prayers, allowing friends or family members to die or suffer through cancer or economic collapse or other maladies. The question was raised as to if God did not care to intervene and allows for evil and bad things to happen to us, then does he really exist.
This issue of evil in the world  and why does God allow bad things to happen to good people is not a new one and has been addressed by people more learned than myself throughout the centuries. But I have to admit that as I was driving and listening I thought about my predicaments over the years and thought "yeah God how come you haven't intervened and made me a millionaire or at least helped me to find a great job?" I was reminded of the scene in the movie Amadeus (1984) when Mozart's mentor, Antonio Salieri played by F. Murray Abraham in his Oscar winning role for best actor, cries out to God wondering why he chose to give all of this talent to Mozart who cared little about pleasing or serving God and lived for the vices of the world. Salieri struggled to understand why  God would not bless him when all he wanted to do was to serve God through his musical abilities and yet seemingly wasted his gifts on someone who did not even appreciate them. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086879/
F.Murray Abraham as Salieri Courtesy of Orien Pictures

I have to admit that I often wonder the same things at times when I see the ultra rich having disdain for the poor and disregarding justice and think why are they so blessed? And then obviously the next question is why not me... because it always comes back to me...right? This morning though I had my eyes opened a little bit as I was spending time reading and praying and God asked me what would I do as a coach? When my players were hurting in practice and looked as if they could go no more, would I just cancel the rest of practice and give them some cookies and milk?
It was then that I saw some connections. Of course I wouldn't, we may take a quick breather, get some water, but then it would be back to practice because we need to push on to accomplish what is set before us so that we are prepared for our test-which in sport is our match or game. But in life those tests are more demanding.

As a coach I will give whatever comfort and encouragement I am able to, but I also understand that to stop is to fail because we will not be ready for what the opposition throws at us. To allow my players to not properly execute in drills and use correct technique is not helping them, it is doing them a disservice. Am I then an uncaring and indifferent coach? No! I care, that is why I teach them properly and push them to work through tough times when their body is screaming in pain and their mind is fuzzy with concepts. I know what types of tests they will face ahead of them because I have scouted the other teams through countless hours of film and personnel study. I know what they will be facing on the field and off.
So often we accuse God of being that uncaring, distant observer who didn't do what we thought he should-cancel practice when things got tough or even do the drills for us. As far as my and Salieri's concerns about what about this other guy? I remember in high school seeing guys I knew driving home after school from the parking lot in nice cars with their beautiful girlfriends as I was walking out toward the football field for practice. There were times when I wished I could trade places and not have to go pound my body. But what I was called and driven to do was not what they were. It was not fair to compare our lives because I had made a commitment to be a member of our football team at Winston Churchill High School and as such I had  a responsibility to my teammates and our coaches to give all I had to them. It was a different path that I chose from my other friends and it was unfair to compare them. My job was to focus on my responsibilities and the ultimate outcome was to grow close to 50 or so guys who fought for a State Championship and succeeded in that endeavor. Was it difficult? Yes! Was it worth it? Yes! And not just for the State Championship but for the opportunity to spend time with men like Coach Floyd Halvorsen,  Eric Krueger, Brad Fennel, Mike Lighty, Jamie Peterson, Jason Metz, Steve Littlejohn, Tom McGlasson, David Hill, Dan Cook, Kirk Brackenbush, Marty Louthan, Rick Geyer, Mark Lamb, Ricky Jennings and so many more who all contributed to our success.
What I learned that season and have continued to learn is that God's desire is not for us to prosper in the ways and eyes of the world, but to make us more like him. To create the ability in us to handle the desert as if it is the mountaintop. To have grace under pressure and to take life in stride and deal with each setback and struggle with knowledge that we are not alone. Our coach is on the field with us preparing and encouraging us. Will we always win the tests and enjoy the critiques that the coach has for us? No, but that is not the ultimate goal. We are the goal, our maturation and development into compassionate, loving people who do justice, love kindness and walk humbly with our God. (Micah 6:8).
"In the world you will have trouble, but take heart I have overcome the world." (John 16:33) God knows the schedule, understands our opponents and knows what we need to do to overcome and be successful  not in the measures of the world , but in the eyes of the one who loves us beyond measure. Peace.

1 comment: