Sivut

Search This Blog

4/05/2013

Simplicity


View From Schweitzer Mountain Resort
"Simplicity is the keynote of My Kingdom. Choose Simple things always, love and reverence the humble and the simple.
Have only simple things here. Your standard must never be the worlds standard."  God Calling

In the world of sport and football being simple is not the norm. It flies in the face of sport culture as complexity is admired, and adulated. The simplicity of following Christ lies in seeing the joy and love that he has and not in seeking to build our own kingdom. The difficulty of it is that it places ego, pride, self fulfillment and our competitive nature at his feet~right at the base of the cross. We see this battle in the arms race of professional, collegiate and even high school sports. So many coaches try to build up their own kingdoms and monuments to attest to their hard work.

One of the struggles I have at times is the development of a "program mentality." We talk about what is best for the program, what the program needs. We hear it on sports radio and in clinics and are encouraged and challenged to build a strong program. While the idea of a stable program is something that we can and should strive for at times I have seen it develop into a life of its own and become bigger than the sport and our players. the complexity overshadows what we are called to do as coaches and teachers. Programs are not human just as corporations are not people, sorry Citizens United but I firmly reject that notion. While we build strong programs we have to realize as coaches that our programs are nothing more than a community of people; coaches, players, and support staff who  work together to create the values that we want to have reflected in each other. Far too often we see those community members sacrificed for the good of the program and with it the values that we share as individuals. The program needs to win so we sacrifice integrity and change grades for failing students rather than make them understand that they have a  responsibility to take care of all areas of their lives for the good of one another. Rather than teaching players that they need to take care of things on and off the field and that the rest of the team is counting on them to do those things, we bend rules, and our standards, and teach them instead that they and the program are above others and that winning at all costs is the only standard. As a result the integrity of the very game we love is impugned. We treat our players as if they are merely a means to an end and are expendable.

Porvoo Butchers

I honestly believe, and tell my players often, that football is better for them than they are for the game of football, a lesson I learned from my good friend and mentor Craig Walker, the very successful former head coach at Bend High School in Oregon. They  need to understand that the game will continue with or without their contributions, but it is not that they are not important to me or the team.  I communicate this to them so that they understand that to be part of the team is a privilege that  carries with it responsibility to the rest of us involved. Which brings me back to the simplicity of  loving God and loving people. I often go walking through beautiful neighborhoods and see palatial houses. Houses that I long for, with wonderful views and incredible amenities. However, those houses are just that, houses, without the love of family. They are doomed to crumble. I realize that my focus needs to be on the eternal-the simple gifts God has blessed me with.  In the same way a program will eventually crumble, but not the relationships that are forged and the character that is developed. All programs have ups and downs in terms of success but if it is merely built to win then there is no substance to it.
Multnomah Falls, Oregon

As a coach I have a unique opportunity to build His Kingdom, if I will forego my own kingdom building and learn to enjoy the simple things that he provides as I love and serve him  and those he has led to me. I realized this during the winter as  I have been so blessed to be able to smile and love every little kid that I got to teach to ski at Schweitzer Mountain resort in Idaho. I also recognize that over the years I have had the joyous opportunity to laugh and work with players in many countries-what a blessing!
Joys of coahhing!
And as a result I have come to understand that God's Kingdom does not look like earthly kingdoms-it is far more simple. It exists in the incredible strength of flowers blooming and pushing out of the ground after a brutal winter, and in the sun setting on the Selkirk mountains creating an alpenglow in its wake. It is clearly evidenced in a young athletes smile as he scores his first touchdown or in the look of satisfaction on players faces when they understand that they have accomplished something difficult. It does not exist in statues and trophies that fade in their glory, but in the glow of hearts that appreciate the simple joy, hope and love of life. Focus on the simple, it is much richer.

Mahalo!

No comments:

Post a Comment