Sivut

Search This Blog

7/03/2011

Fragrant Offerings


The other day I was walking down the street and I caught a whiff of lilacs blowing in the breeze! It reminded me of home, the "Lilac City"-Spokane, Washington! Is this truly significant? Probably not, but I was struck by the experience in a new way as I reflected upon it later. When we smell something that catches our attention we usually have two possible responses depending upon the fragrance and our own personal reactions. One is to savor the smell, the other is to run from it and evade it. When we catch a whiff of something that is displeasing to us we attempt to get out of the area. We have a physical reaction. We will grab our nose to stop the smell from emanating in our nostrils. We may even gag if the smell is really bad. I remember growing up in Oregon and there were two places that we hated driving by as kids. One was in Springfield going towards the McKenzie River and Bend. The other was along I-5 in Albany. Both places had paper mills along the highway and the smell was of rotten eggs on steroids. We would try to hold our breath until we passed the area which could be a long time if the wind was blowing just right. To this day I have negative memories of those places. Both mills have changed and no longer emit the same horrible smell, yet I can still remember vividly the stench. Here in Porvoo we have our own emission violater also coincidentally named Mackenzie but that is a different matter as it is a biological process and not a chemical reaction. At least I hope! LOL!
Mac! Our Emissions Expert!


However when we encounter a pleasing smell it is a different matter. We linger. We still have a physical reaction. When I smell something lovely I will stop what I am doing and pause to take it in. We enjoy it. Watch someone when they smell something good They smell, they stop, they smile. It is an automatic reaction. We don't just pass by! Our whole body stops and pauses, often lifting our nose and closing our eyes to enhance the sensation. We take in that smell whether it be from flowers, fresh chocolate chip cookies, or a perfume that is familiar.


I was reading in Philippians 4:18-19 shortly after my encounter with the lilacs and came across a passage where Paul is communicating with the church in Phillipi about the gifts that they had sent to him while he was in prison.  He writes, "they are a fragrant offering (emphasis mine), an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." As I read this I immediately thought of my experiences with fragrances and a picture of God's response to our gifts came to mind. I think we often picture God as a banker checking to see that the finances are in order and that the gifts have been delivered. In essence, he is there to make sure that we have paid what we owe, and this darkly gloomy portrait of God is very common.

The picture that this verse brought to mind though was radically different. It is of God stopping in his tracks and smelling the gifts that we have brought, of really taking in the fragrance of the goods.  I imagine a shop keeper in an outdoor marketplace. It is lively, sounds and smells are everywhere. People are doing business all around, buying and selling things, getting ready to make meals or finding necessities and luxuries. It is crowded and the hustle and bustle dominates. But in comes a local farmer with fresh fruits and flowers to deliver to the shopkeeper. The farmer presents his gifts-his goods- and in the middle of this hectic scene the shopkeeper stops as he catches a whiff of the fragrance. He pauses and takes a deep breath, a delighted expression spreading across his face. His eyes close and he breathes deeply with his head lifted upward to catch all of the incredible smells. He is pleased, for that moment nothing else matters, the offering is acceptable. It changes his perspective on the entire day, just as those moments do for us when we smell something that arouses the rest of our senses in our body.
Plumeria

The smell brings with it a flood of memories for us. Memories of people, places, and experiences. For me, the smell of Juniper trees brings back great memories of my time spent in Central Oregon, plumeria reminds me of dear friends and special times in Hawai`i, and chocolate chip cookies brings home the warmth of growing up and family.  These memories are tied to my experiences and make me who I am and can be unlocked through a simple smell. Experiencing those smells can bring back all of the sensations of those times. The richness of the experience can be summoned by the sweet fragrance.
Central Oregon and the Three Sisters 

When we offer our gifts to God, he responds to us in the same way; reliving again the love for his creation, his grace for us and his immeasurable joy. Just as those fragrances stop us in our tracks and flood us with memories and joy- Paul gives us a similar portrait that our gifts of love have on God. As players and coaches we have been given gifts that others may not have the opportunity to realize. Scripture teaches us to not only love God but also to love others as well.  I hope that as we share those gifts on the football field that those watching the games will see  and experience something that will be a positive, lasting memory for years to come. I know for many of us the smell of freshly mowed grass, warm summer days and  makara (sausages)  grilling from the concession stands can conjure up many of our experiences on the field surrounding American Football games here. I hope and pray that those smells will bring back wonderful memories of friendships, shared times, love expressed in action, goals challenged, and laughter, because when all is said and done that is what we will take away from this game.
Phung and I enjoying a respite during a game!
 
I hope that as I am able to use my gifts here in Finland that they would be an acceptable sacrifice and that God would every so often stop, pause and take a whiff! that he would not plug his nose but linger for a minute and say well done good and faithful servant. I know that there are many times when I stink up the place! But with God's grace I am hopeful that as I bring my meager offerings and offer them in love that the shopkeeper smiles, at least occasionally! I also hope that many years from now there will be a fragrance that wafts through the air that will bring a smile to the face of friends here in Finland as they remember the great times and memories that we are now in the process of building. Peace to you!

Jim
Central Oregon Wildflowers In the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness

No comments:

Post a Comment